Monday, April 7, 2014

Habit-Forming Behavior

This post is a departure from my typical subject areas, but I simply had to share.

It's that time of year when you have officially, completely forgotten your New Year's resolution. Yet, those sundresses and bikinis are really calling to you, aren't they? It's all getting too real.

Are you trying to get into the habit of working out or eating better? I have a really simple, cheap, and easy method for building a habit that is really working for me. So, psychologists tell us that it takes 21 days to build a habit. Right now, I am trying to be more consistent with my meditation practice.

I saw this on Pinterest, and it really appealed to me because it was simple, visual, and tactile. You take those little flag tabs and number them 1-21 and then stick them to a wall. Mine says “Did I meditate today?” and each tab says “yes!” and has a number. As I rip off the tabs, I put them in a jar.

Normally when creating something like this, I would give myself an out. For example, I would make the rule that if I skipped a day, I would add two days. With this, I never thought to have an out, and halfway through, I have realized that it was better that way. Some days, I only meditate for ten minutes, and some meditations are better than others. But I make it a point to do it every day because I don't have a choice. 

Not only is it very satisfying to add little tabs to my jar, but having the tabs on the wall right across from my bed has guaranteed that I never forget. I've tried to use apps and journals and calendars, but I always forget to remember.


If you have a habit that you want to build, I recommend trying this method. It's so easy and it's really worked for me!  

As twenty-somebodies, it is vital that we build healthy habits that will enrich the rest of our lives. Please let me know if this method works for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment