Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Kids Today and Their Cell Phones

Warning: angry (yet insightful) rant ahead

Last semester, a woman with whom I chat on the Georgetown bus pointed out that when I have my headphones in, she doesn't feel like she should interrupt me. It never occurred to me how inaccessible listening to music in public makes you appear. This must be why I hear so many older people complaining about our obsession with our phones and ear buds.

I had never realized how much I needed my headphones until today. I was leaving the metro station and I smiled at a guy that was waiting with me for the elevator; I received a blank stare. I frowned and reached for my headphones. It was in that moment that I made the connection. My goal is to signal that I am inaccessible. I create my own space. I listen to my music to escape.



Escape what, exactly? Well, the commute on the streets of DC supply sights and interactions that, in my opinion, demand escapism. You want examples? I'll give you three from my last two commutes (seriously, I have THREE absolute peaches from just TWO days). First, Friday evening, I passed a man who was asking for money, but he wasn't asking for money. His sign read (pardon my language, I'm quoting) “Fuck you. Give me money.” I'm not kidding. 
This city's full of class....

My second example has to do with transportation etiquette. Babyboomers complain about kids today being rude on the bus. Eat my shorts. I hopped on the bus and there were two (TWO!) people sitting in the aisle seats with empty window seats next to them. They were not disabled; they did not have cumbersome luggage. They were just assholes (pardon my language again, or not). Five people were standing. This is a Metro Express bus, which means that once it picks people up in one location, it goes 5 or more miles before dropping anyone off. That's a long time to stand and get jerked around if you don't have to.

Finally, I was walking home this evening and a man honked his horn to get my attention. He was catcalling me with his car (or honk-approving my ass) As he rounded the corner on which I was waiting, he kept his eyes on me in a predatory way, and honked again, I guess to signal that he still approved. I can't even begin to explain how mad this makes me. Screw you, creeper. 

This is the public sphere that kids today are avoiding with their headphones.

I have pulled my headphones out to talk to very interesting people on the bus and train. The majority of the time, these experiences make my day, sometimes my week. I love talking to friendly people! If you want us to look up from our phones and pull out the ear buds, offer us a better alternative.

Until then, I'm going to listen to Lorde and you can keep your opinions about kids today to yourself.

#SorryNotSorry



and now... an otter plays dead.




1 comment:

  1. I agree, insofar as I personally keep my earbuds in for one prime reason: to positively stimulate my mind, comparatively to the kinds of alternatives you have described above. P.S. The otter steals my heart!

    ReplyDelete