Friday, February 7, 2014

Are you there, Future? It’s me, Gen Y.

Don’t get me wrong.

I would love to have a perfect elevator speech about the unique set of skills I could bring to your organization, but let's face it, I would sweep the floors if it meant not having to make sandwiches.

My mother is tired of hearing about my internships, aka "jobs with expiration dates" and my friends are tired of paying off their student loan debt by working at minimum wage. Nothing I can say about my generation will surprise you. Wherein some believe we are entitled and lazy, others will praise our ingenuity, our connectedness, and our optimism.
I don't want this blog to be an attack or defense on twenty-somethings. There is a contentious conversation in our society regarding the merits and demerits of the millennial generation, a highly valuable conversation. We are unique characters in a unique time. Unfortunately, I really have no opinion. Some of us are motivated, engaged, and generally rocking at life. Some of us are miserably entitled, disrespectful, and uninteresting. All I know is my experience, right now. That's what I want to share. I also want to explore the experiences of others in the context of finding yourself in the terrifying gap between "young" and "professional".

This blog will be an evolving story of finding yourself and your place on the planet.



No comments:

Post a Comment