Monday, February 10, 2014

The Perks of Being an Entitled Brat

      I think we need to talk about this idea of entitlement.

      Millennials find themselves deflecting accusations of entitlement by citing the philosophy of Barney the Dinosaur, their numerous trophies for existing (everyone is honorably mentioned, really?), and their English professors delineating the many careers you will be prepared for with the degree. I argue that entitlement starts at home, and that parents are largely to blame for this phenomenon. Our parents did have great opportunities to give us everything we ever wanted. Baby Boomers have the most buying power of any generation that’s ever existed, ever. Not to mention the economic optimism of the 90’s, when most of us were begging for Barbie Dream Houses. Who doesn’t want the best for their kids? It doesn’t even have to be financial. My mother has pointed out that when she played basketball as a kid, her parents never took her to practice or attended games. My husband, who was raised largely by his grandparents, agreed with her. That is unthinkable in the minivan-chauffeuring, boosters pizza-selling, helicopter-soccer-momming world we live in today.

     I say all that so I can say this…
           
     I try to be somewhat objective about myself. I don’t like to wallow in self-loathing or self-adoration. To take on one of the extremes is to always find yourself up against contradicting evidence. Therefore, I declare my entitlement to be only slightly above average (like, maybe 60%). Here is the evidence I’m using: my mother still helps me out with my cell phone bill and is there if I get in over my head, but I am independent to a fault, so I hate asking for help and rarely do. I have a lot of experience in my field
that should make me a worthy candidate for mid-level positions, but I do not expect to be hired in as an Executive Director after college. I work my ass off for every grade, paycheck, and reward. I don’t accept undue compliments, but I do expect acknowledgement when I do well. I depend on my husband too much to do household chores, and I get upset if my friends aren't available for drinks. I’ve not had a hard life, but I have had to suffer through the emotional and financial injury of lengthy unemployment.  I am lucky, and expect the opportunity to keep building good fortune. I expect that from my government, most of all.
           

      I don’t, however, see entitlement as a bad thing. If my inflated sense of privilege has done anything for me, it has made me fearless. Just yesterday I struck up a conversation with the local Arts Commissioner about my ideas for a local program. We had an extended conversation, and she was very supportive. Last week, I had three meetings with local non-profit staffers that I set up for no reason beyond my curiosity and to build my network. I'll take no for an answer, but I'll also rephrase the question and try again. I think our sense of entitlement raises our floor on “the worst that can happen” and provides that extra push we need to express ourselves and take risks. We need to use that fearlessness to be a force for good! Let's demand from our government, our society, and our experience growth, fairness, and opportunity. We deserve it. 

I would accompany this optimism with a healthy dose of humility—if you don’t have anything nice or meaningful to say, just don’t. But we have constructive things to say! If acting on this makes us entitled brats, we should wear the label proudly!     

No comments:

Post a Comment